MEMORIAL ALTAR BOX MAKING CLASSES - $10 per student
Classes are a part of the festival's education outreach. Creating one of these remembrances is a great way to learn more about the traditions of Día de los Muertos and form a personal connection with the holiday. No artistic talent is needed, desire to make a memorial for someone important to you is all that is required. At times remembering close family or friends is too difficult, therefore, we also encourage you to create memorials for mentors, heroes and pets.
We are excited to offer these classes at Do*It*Yourself Crafts located at 1909 Oxmoor Road, Homewood, AL 35209. Register now - class sizes are limited to 20 people. Bring your payment to the class in cash or as a check made out to Bare Hands Inc.
In this class you learn about building Day of the Dead altars or ofrendas for the departed. The small cigar box remembrance that you make in class can be the first building block of larger altars that you may want to make in the future. Each class has volunteer teachers who assist and encourage you as much or as little as you like. PLEASE wear clothes that you don't mind getting dirty or stained with paint!
- Cigar Boxes
- Art Supplies of all sorts
- Samples for inspiration
You should bring, if you can:
- Color copies of photos of the departed - even if the photos are black & white, color copies give the best result.
- Small replicas or images of things they enjoyed - food, beverages, hobbies, sports, work, organizations, books, shows.
- Copies of letters, postcards, ticket stubs, quotes.
- Things that remind you of them.
We recommend making copies of original items so that irreplaceable mementos are not lost or damaged.